Friday, August 23, 2013

The downfalls of routine

I have learned through my experience as an Equine Fellow that one of the most important qualities in equine field work is to be flexible. Although there may be a full schedule booked in the evening, the following morning can bring different emergencies that tend to shift around that entire schedule.

It is easy to get frustrated, but it is important that emergencies are just that: unplanned. I feel like that is one of the perks of equine medicine. I love experiencing a variety of different cases that aren’t typical of the routine visit. So far this summer, I have seen several different cases of foot abscesses. These calls have turned into guessing games on the drive. What caused this acute lameness? Is it going to be a case of laminitis, a fracture, an embedded nail, or an abscess?

I’ve learned that you need be interested in these different emergencies that are thrown in your direction instead of being so caught up in a routine schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment