Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Week 1 at Cleveland Equine Clinic


Week 1 at Cleveland Equine Clinic
Greetings from Cleveland Equine! This practice is located south of Cleveland in Ravenna, Ohio and is open Monday – Saturday for appointments with doctors on call 24/7 for emergencies. I have been mostly on the road for ambulatory appointments. Each day this past week I rode with a vet and his/her assigned technician. So far I’ve spent time with 3 different veterinarians. Each one sees everything but specializes mostly in equine sports medicine, so I’ve seen a lot of lameness exams and helped scrub quite a few legs for nerve blocks and joint injections. The practice also employs vets who focus primarily on theriogenology, dentistry, and ophthalmology that I haven’t ridden with yet.
One day we spent half on the road and half in the clinic for outpatient appointments. In the clinic I helped with two MRIs, one of which I placed an IV catheter for. For the most part I shadow during each appointment and chat with the vet in the car on the way to the next appointment about any questions I might have. Everyone has been super helpful and willing to help me learn; I am sometimes asked during the appointment what I see before the veterinarian gives their diagnoses. One vet also allowed me to give vaccines and hold the plate for radiographs. I have been on two emergency calls, one colic and one neurology case which turned out to be a Sidewinder.
I look forward to my next week here ðŸ˜Š The living accommodations above the clinic are great, but there is no wifi I can access in the clinic, so please bear with me if my posts are a little sporadic!


No comments:

Post a Comment