Sunday, May 11, 2014

Week 1

I have finished my first week at Performance Equine. We were traveling all over Michigan this past week. I hadn't realized how big the state really was until now. Although there is a lot of driving, the cases we see are not emergencies so most days are planned around being in a certain area of Michigan. It has been nice to see different parts of the state I have lived in the past four years. I have also seen a lot of horses and a lot of lameness this past week. Lameness deals with the horse's gait, and is usually due to a problem somewhere on the leg. I have been getting used to watching different types of horses move around. I am used to watching hunter jumper horses because that is what I have ridden and competed in. Not all horses move the same, some have a faster gait, while others may be slower. This week alone I have seen Arabians, Quarter Horses, and Warmbloods; they all participate in different competitions. This is slowly making me more accustomed to looking at any horse move and helping me see abnormalities in the movement. It has also been really interesting to see what I have just learned in large animal anatomy in practice. I'm glad our last unit was limbs because they are still fresh in my mind, and as a sports medicine veterinarian you look at legs for most of your day. Therefore, knowing the anatomy of the horse leg is very helpful diagnostically. I feel this week I have learned the most about ultrasonography. I have observed Dr. Hill ultrasound numerous tendons and ligaments on the leg. On each ultrasound he has shown me what he sees to be abnormal, and understanding the anatomy helps me map it all together in my head. I've just started and I'm already learning a lot. I can't wait to share what I learn in the weeks to come. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment