Monday, August 3, 2015

End of the Summer at Saginaw Valley Equine Clinic

Again I have been delinquent in my blogging.... but, my last few weeks at Saginaw Valley Equine Clinic were definitely full of experiences.  One of the most interesting, albeit the saddest, was a horse that presented with colic following a hard fall at a barrel race.  One of the differential diagnoses was a diaphragmatic hernia.  However, the owners were unable to have surgery for the horse so we euthanized it and performed a field autopsy.  It turned out to be a colonic torsion, a cause of colic completely unrelated to the fall.  Much of the colon was already necrotic and the horse would have required a lengthy colic surgery and bowel resection.

I learned a lot over the summer and am grateful that I was given the opportunity to experience practice at an equine specialty clinic!

No comments:

Post a Comment