Sunday, May 22, 2016

Week 1 with Equine Athlete!

Hey everyone, I had a first great week working in Mantua, Ohio with Dr. Hill and his associate from Texas, Dr. Bush. I had a short week, working one overnight trip. We spent both days at a world class, full service barn that houses over 200 Arabian and Saddlebred show horses. This trip was a great introduction to the horses I will be working with and around this summer. It's so interesting being exposed to yet another equine discipline and style!  The first day out I learned how to set up the portable ultrasound, radiograph, and shockwave machines. I also learned how to prep and scrub for joint injections. On the second day I got to watch some horses "go" with Dr. Hill as he performed lameness exams, and then I got to watch the follow-up treatments performed by Dr. Bush. Most of the joint injections performed were to the fetlocks, hocks and stifles, as well as ultrasound guided sacroiliac injections. We also radiographed a horse with a navicular bone fracture and a horse with abscesses in both hind feet. It was a great experience learning how to hold the plate for all the different views. This week I'll be on the road to Columbus, Ohio heading to my first show experience with Dr. Hill at the Buckeye Sweepstakes! Hope everyone is enjoying their experiences as much as I am!
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment