Sunday, May 22, 2016

Week one at Oakridge Equine!

Week One at Oakridge Equine in Oklahoma!

My first week started off well here in Oklahoma. As usual, I spent my first few days just getting to know the veterinarians and staff and how the hospital runs. This is a very busy practice that has 5  full time veterinarians, one resident and five interns. The caseload is very heavy and diverse, with everything from mandibular fractures, neurologic cases, orthopedic surgeries, colics, pneumonia, lameness evaluations, pre-purchase exams and everything inbetween.

My day starts around 6:30am with morning treatments for the hospital patients. Our first appointments start at 8am and run until 6pm. As I learn the system and where things are, I mostly observe and jump in whenever I see a chance to help out.

The clinic has two barns with about 60 stalls. There is two surgery suites, one for soft tissue and one for orthopedics, a radiology room, an MRI machine, two exam rooms, two indoor lameness areas, four ICU stalls and three isolation stalls. I am currently living above the clinic in the extern apartment, but I will move next week, most likely to an extra apartment of one of the veterinarians, when more externs start arriving.

This weekend I also had the opportunity to sit in on a joint injection lab for the equine practitioners in the surrounding area. It was a great learning experience and anatomy refresher!

I haven’t nailed down the details about posting pictures yet, but once I get the okay to post I will add some to my future posts!

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment