Thursday, July 12, 2018

Clinton Vet Service: Week 5

Well, that's a wrap!  I apologize for the delay in writing this final entry.  Between the Fourth of July holiday, and my inability to quite put into words my final week with Clinton Vet, this post is a touch tardy.  Words cannot describe how grateful I am for the wonderful experiences I have had over the last month and a half.  Without clinics like Clinton, programs like MSU's Equine Fellows, or sponsors like Zoetis, experiences like the one I have had would be impossible.  I learned more than I ever could write and continued to build my relationship with a fantastic clinic and their clients.  But, above all else I continued to perfect valuable skills that will serve me throughout my veterinary career.  I am sad that my time with Clinton Vet is over, but am so glad to have had the opportunity to continue learning from them.

My last week was nothing short of amazing.  We started off quite busy with full days Monday and Tuesday driving all over Mid-Michigan for a variety of calls.  We saw everything from lamenesses, floats, sick horses, and reproductive calls.  It was encouraging to get to do some followup calls for cases we have been working on since I started.  Even more exciting was the positive pregnancy checks we had for a few of the mares I have gotten to work closely with.  Mid-way through the week we got a surprise inpatient at the clinic.  A newborn foal with contracted forelimbs.  It is not uncommon for foals to be contracted and is caused by their flexor tendons being too tight/short when they are born.  Without intervention it is unlikely that the foal will be able to stand and nurse properly.

The colt, affectionately nick-named Forrest, needed immediate assistance.  I was impressed by the entire team coming out to help! Even after a long day of work almost every staff member returned to the clinic to begin treatment.  The typical treatment for contracted limbs is Oxytetracycline, a broad-spectrum antibiotic.  It is unclear what properties of this drug encourage the relaxation of the tendons, but typically the limbs will straighten after 24-48 hours of treatment.  Concurrently, splints can be placed to encourage straightening.  Though it is imperative that they are not left on indefinitely, or the foal will become dependent upon their support.

Drinking like a big kid at 3 am!
Unfortunately, contracted limbs were not Forrest's only hurdles.  He did not have a strong suckle reflex, a common finding in "dummy" foals.  Even with the support of three staff members and guidance towards his mothers teats, he couldn't latch on to nurse.  This meant that he needed round the clock care in order to receive proper nutrition.  Dr. Lindsay (the main doctor on the case, who first saw the foal that morning) had successfully milked the mare and fed Forrest via syringe a few times throughout the day.  But, it was evident that he needed treatment every two hours throughout the night.  Thankfully, there was no shortage of volunteers and Dr. Cynthia, Michelle (who lives nearby), and I divided up shifts and began a long night of treating the foal.  At first, it was a two person job to milk the mare and feed Forrest.  As the night wore on we were able to get a system down that required only one person.  Since he didn't want to suckle well it became evident that we risked aspiration pneumonia using the syringe method.  This can be a serious complication of hand-fed foals if you are not careful.  So, at three in the morning Dr. Cynthia and I attempted to train him to a bucket for drinking.  It took some creativity, but eventually he took to it like a champ!  The rest of the night was uneventful and he even began to stand more easily on his own.

Look at that handsome little colt
Nursing on his own!
The next morning Forrest continued to improve but still needed regular care.  We had a good system down for feeding and he received his second dose of Oxytet.  Periodically, we would work his limbs to help them stretch straight and aid him in getting up and walking.  This round the clock care continued for another day or two before significant improvement was noted.  Finally, his tendons relaxed significantly and he began nursing on his own!  Throughout this process, his dam was a star.  Many of these cases outcomes are contingent upon the mare continuing to help care for the foal.  It is one thing to have to hand rear a foal for a few days, but taking on a rejected or orphaned foal is a whole different story.  Thankfully, the mare remained calm, easy to handle, and milked extremely well while we had to.  The most recent update I have heard is that they are both home and thriving.  I can only hope that the rocky start is the end of the trials for this spunky little colt.

Working with Forrest was one of the highlights of my time with Clinton.  Getting to help with his round the clock care was a great learning opportunity and really improved my skills with foals and nursing mares.  But, what shines above all else are the people.  The staff at Clinton Vet is unlike any I have worked with before.  They are a family and work extremely well as a team.  Even during the toughest times they are quick to lighten the mood when they can and are always having fun.  I don't think I ever walked into the clinic and didn't find a reason to smile or laugh with whoever was around.  Having a good team is a pivotal part in running a successful clinic and Clinton has that mastered.  I am sad to be done, but will forever be grateful for all they have taught me.  Thank you for following along on my adventure and thank you to Clinton Vet and Dr. Cynthia for hosting me!


Some pictures that haven't fit into other posts (but further prove how much fun was had by all!) :

Always a sense of humor at Clinton!

Baby bunnies at a call
Sally: the clinic manager
No chicks were harmed in the taking of this photo
The newest addition
Peanut gallery sleeping on the job while we float teeth






No comments:

Post a Comment