Monday, July 9, 2018

Equine Athlete: Week 7-8

Hello once again! I just got back from a Lexington Kentucky and we are now starting to prep horses for the 2018 Arabian Youth Nationals! I learned a lot these last couple of weeks at the horse shows.
 
Everything that we have done this summer relates to anatomy is someway. I am so glad I learned so much anatomy my first year, without it I would be lost. We do a lot of joint injections, which have challenged me to refresh my knowledge of different anatomy topics. One injection that I struggled with understanding the logistics of was the sacroiliac joint injection. Over the last few weeks I have been able to get a better understanding of how the procedure is done.

The sacroiliac joint injection is done ultrasound guided to guarantee that the steroids are injected in the correct location. There are four different injection sites, two on each side.
The first injection is at the cranial portion of the pelvis, you place the ultrasound probe parallel to the vertebra just off the midline (pictured). Once you can clearly see the ileum on the ultrasound (green circle) your goal is to place the needle below and parallel to the ileum (needle is circled in purple), ultrasound is real time so you are able  
to watch the needle go into the correct location.






The second injection is caudal to the first and the probe is  positioned more perpendicular to the vertebra just off midline (pictured). With this positioning you are able to see where the ileum and the sacrum articulate (circled in yellow), that is your target point. Again you are able to watch the needle go into place. With that, steroids are injected from two different entry site of the same joint, this helps to assure adequate results. This type of joint injection really helped me to understand the anatomy of the pelvis as well as help to become more familiar with ultrasound imaging.


I will be back soon with more exciting cases! Thanks :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment