Thursday, July 18, 2013

Time Flies When You’re Working Hard, Having Fun, and Learning Loads!


Time is flying by here at CEC! I am just finishing off my tenth week and I am still having an awesome time! I have seen so many neat cases and am learning so much. Even though, it is in the 90s this week, I love working hard and going on lots of farm calls. This week we had an interesting wound that was along the lateral canthus of the eye. Somehow the horse had avoided scratching the eye and we were able to suture the wound closed with 3-0 vicryl.  The real test will be whether the owners can stop the horse from rubbing the eye, which for this trouble-maker of a horse will be a challenge!

There have been several colic cases lately. One involved an emergency farm call out to see a draft horse 5yr mare. The mare had a heart rate of 100beats/min, respiratory rate of 80bpm, temperature of 103*F, muddy-color gums, and a severe sweat. I was able to rectal the mare and felt an extreme amount of heat, several distended loops of small intestine, and a very firm cecum. Unfortunately, because surgery was not an option for this mare, she was euthanized. We have also been seeing several impaction cases, ranging from mild to severe. We currently have an impaction colic case that has now developed severe diarrhea and a fever. A fecal sample has been submitted so we will see what it says, however I’ve been told that it “smells like Salmonella!” The horse is now on K-pen, gent, polymyxin, cimetidine, and fluids. In addition, to continuing multiple day NG tubing with different combinations of water, electrolytes, energy, Epsom salts, and mineral oil. I’ve found colic cases to be very interesting, although often frustrating (if only you could make a horse drink)!

I can’t believe that I only have two week left. I truly can’t say how much I love working here!

No comments:

Post a Comment