Monday, May 25, 2015

Week 2 at Rood and Riddle!

I cannot believe it has only been two weeks that I have been here! I have been learning so many things and seeing so much! I have become proficient in flushing broodmares and am getting more comfortable at palpating them as well. This past week has been a nice mix of routine farm calls and emergencies. One of the more exciting calls we went on was a horse that sliced his eyelid open and it needed to be sewn back together. It looked terrible when we arrived and when we left, you could barely tell he had even injured it at all.


One thing I have liked about ambulatory is that we have routine farms in the morning where I can follow the progress of the horses that we work on. My favorite case so far has been the mare that tore through her rectum during an unattended foaling. It has been fascinating to see her recovery process as how well her colt's leg has been healing. He was born with a contracted tendon and he is almost completely back to normal now.

Outside of the ambulatory work, I have been able to attend a steeplechase at Kentucky Horse Park as well as The Split Rock Jumping Tour. I was also able to take a day off for Memorial Day and explore the Appalachian Mountains. It really is beautiful down here! I have also gotten to meet so many students and veterinarians from not only around the U.S. but around the world. It is wonderful to hear all about the other schools and countries and all of the possibilities for veterinarians.





That is all I have for now! I look forward to more exciting cases throughout the week that I can share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment