Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Week 2 at Saginaw Valley Equine Clinic

Week two at Saginaw Valley Equine has been one crazy ride.  It was my first week on call, and naturally, we had an unnaturally high number of emergencies and overnight treatments.  This was awesome, because I got the opportunity to learn a lot and got a lot of hands-on experience.  Not unlike preparing for exams, the best learning is done in the middle of the night!  However, it was an exhausting experience leaving me a bit heavier and more tired than before.  I should really work on avoiding junk food while staying up all night!

Tuesday night we had a foal born, as well as a miniature horse stud come in with sand colic.  I stayed at the clinic from 10 pm until 7 am with that stallion, after working a 9 hour day that day!  Wednesday had no new emergencies, but night treatments at 11 pm and 3 am.  Thursday also had 11 pm and 3 am night treatments, but as a Haflinger with a testicular torsion came in for emergency surgery, I was there until after 3 am anyway!  Friday night required night treatments for the mini and the Haflinger.  Saturday I was at the clinic at 7 am, and left after 9 only to come back in again for treatments in the middle of the night.  We had a new emergency that was to spend a few days at the clinic – a retired barrel racing quarter horse with a uterine infection.  She ended up having to have a large piece of dead vaginal tissue removed but is now doing well.  Sunday and Monday were also extremely long days.  However, I have today off to sleep in and try to reflect on the past week’s experiences.  I definitely learned a lot and got a taste of the schedule of a vet on call! 


No comments:

Post a Comment