Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hello from OHIO!


            I have worked for about three weeks at the wonderful Cleveland Equine Clinic! I have started to get into the routine of the clinic and really love working with all of the staff! My days tend to start at about 8:00 am at the clinic, where I then either begin assisting the doctor with in-hospital appointments or, more often, I hit the road with one of the other doctors. My day continues until all the appointments and patients are taken care of for the day.

It is breeding season here, so I have been able to see a lot of repro ultrasounds, inseminations, and even semen collection. The amount of work and time that both the vets and owners spend trying to get these mares pregnant is quite impressive!

I have also been able to see several lameness exams. We start by palpating the entire horse, followed by a motion exam which includes walking, trotting, circling, lunging, and flexion tests. After this, the doctor may follow up with nerve blocking and retesting, radiographs, or ultrasound. I have been lucky enough to actually see a standing MRI done on a horse’s foot. The MRI takes several hours and definitely takes a trained eye to notice subtle changes. It was certainly an excellent anatomy review for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment