Sunday, May 12, 2013

Week One in Ohio!

Hey Everyone!
I have just completed my first couple of days at the Cleveland Equine Clinic in Ravenna, Ohio. The clinic is absolutely beautiful! It has a standing MRI machine, ultrasound, x-ray, basic in-house lab, surgery suites, ICU, and a beautiful barn and arena. The staff and veterinarians have been absolutely wonderful! Everyone has been very willing to answer my questions and show me the ropes of the hospital. My schedule changes day to day and I get to see something new every single day, which is what I love! In general, I start at 8 am and continue until all the cases are completed for the day.
             I have mostly been on the road with a few of the doctors, but have also seen some in hospital cases. The clinic covers an extremely large area, so there is often a lot of driving involved. So far, I have been to racetrack (TBs and Standardbreds) farms, large hunter barns, and even a private school equestrian center!

One of the more interesting cases for me was when we performed a pre-purchase exam for a client. This particular pre-purchase was fairly intensive, including a full physical exam, x-rays, and bloodwork. For me, it was interesting to see how the veterinarian communicated to the client about the findings.  This particular horse had some expected ‘wear and tear’ for its age, but had a wonderful attitude and brain, which is very important for its intended use as a child’s horse. The veterinarian worked with the client to explain the importance of both the horse’s body and mind for its intended use and designed a medical plan for the future. This is what I love about veterinary medicine!
This summer looks like it is going to involve a lot of hard work and long hours, but is going to be full of unique opportunities and just a wonderful learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment