Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The first two weeks in Colorado


Hi I’m Kiva, a third year veterinary student. Thanks to this amazing opportunity through the Equine Fellows Program at Michigan State, I get to spend my summer at the Littleton Equine Medical Center near Denver, Colorado. I have a long background with horses and have been riding for most of my life, but over the last few years I have questioned whether equine medicine is where I want to go with my career. This will be my first experience with an equine vet clinic that is this large and advanced, and I’m really excited to get back into equine medicine!

It was a whirlwind trip driving out here and getting settled in. Starting at any new place can be overwhelming, let alone a clinic that staffs 17 veterinarians! The clinic is beautiful and laid out over several buildings with the Rocky Mountains looming to the west. My position at the clinic is as an Intensive Care Unit assistant. The ICU is staffed by veterinary technicians 24/7, with round the clock treatments. I’ve been really impressed so far by all of the protocols that are in place to protect the sick horses in the ICU barn, as well as any other horse coming on the property. I’m still amazed that a clinic so large can function so seamlessly, especially when we are all in different buildings.

Everyone I work with has been really friendly, which I’m starting to discover is true of just about everyone I’ve met in Denver.  I’ve been in the city for 2 weeks, and I’m falling in love with it quickly. Because of the large number of veterinary student externs coming through the clinic this summer, I was unable to live on site like the previous fellow. While initially I was disappointed that I couldn’t be close to the action at the clinic, I was able to find an apartment within walking distance from downtown Denver, which has turned out to be awesome! Since I’ve been here I’ve gotten to explore some of Denver’s parks, farmers markets, and night life. I’ve been up hiking in the mountains, which I plan to do much more of.

That’s all for now, stay posted for more details about the clinic and what all the cool stuff I’m seeing and doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment