Sunday, May 12, 2013

Week One at Clinton Veterinary Service


Hello everyone!

I am participating in the Equine Fellows Summer Program at Clinton Veterinary Service in St Johns, which is a rural town about half an hour north of Michigan State University’s campus. I am incredibly grateful to Zoetis for providing funding for my summer experience through their Animal Health Externship Program.

I have just completed my first week at the clinic and I could not be more excited to see what the rest of the summer will offer. The clinic focuses primarily on equine and bovine medicine, with a large practice area in central Michigan. All of the veterinarians and staff have been incredibly helpful when I have any questions and they are always willing to let me get hands-on during examinations and treatments.

Field work is an interesting aspect of veterinary medicine that has allowed me to see all different varieties of horses and living situations. This includes everything from grade ponies living in backyards to fancy imported horses in gorgeous boarding or breeding barns. However, there is one common denominator in every case: the love that each owner has for their horses.

This spring has brought many new foals and a lot of reproductive work to be done! Watching newborns attempt to coordinate four legs that are disproportionately long always puts a smile on my face. So far this week, we have been lucky to visit relatively healthy foals and none that have been critically ill.

I look forward to the rest of the summer and seeing what it will offer. I have absolutely no doubt that it will be full of learning experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment