Saturday, July 4, 2015

Weeks 6,7 and 8 at SVEC

It appears I accidentally got a little behind on my blog posts!  I assure you, my negligence doesn't mean that nothing happened over the past few weeks.  I can't believe that we are already done with week 8 of the program and only have 4 weeks left here at Saginaw Valley Equine Clinic!  
In the past three weeks, I have had the opportunity to scrub into a few surgeries.  The funniest was a colt who was supposed to be a cryptorchid, meaning that one testicle had not descended into the scrotum.  However, when we anesthetized him and got him on the surgical table, his testes was clear as could be.  Instead of having a cryptorchid surgery, Dr. Williams was able to do a simple open castration.  Of course I was disappointed to not see a more interactive surgery, but the owners were quite pleased at the difference in their bill!  My favorite surgery was a hock OCD removal.  I really enjoy arthroscopic procedures so any time I get to scrub in on an arthroscopy I'm a happy girl! 
One thing that really struck me was how many horses have already begun developing Potomac.  I'm accustomed to seeing it later in the year so I was surprised to see our first case present in the middle of June.  We've already had five cases!  I had not had any prior experience administering oxytetracycline to horses intravenously, so having so many cases gave me plenty of opportunities to practice treatments.
Happy fourth of July everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment