Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Time has been flying by at SVEC

I can't believe how much time has flown by since my last post. Over the last couple weeks, I have learned more than I could ever imagine! I've seen the usual lameness exams and dentals as well as numerous more interesting cases. I've helped with numerous lacerations of all different degrees, from those that could be sutured standing do those so large and on the belly that the horse was put under anesthesia to close the wounds to those that could not be salvaged and the horse was humanely euthanized.

One procedure that particularly interested me was the removal of a stifle OCD in a yearling colt. The OCD was located on the lateral aspect of the trochlear ridge of the femur. It was identified radiographically, and Dr. Williams was able to remove the OCD via arthroscopy. I scrubbed into this procedure and helped Dr. Williams by blotting and handing her instruments (A great way to learn instrument names and the appropriate way to hand off instruments). The arthroscope was inserted between the medial and middle patellar ligaments and was angled to located the OCD. A curette was used to loosen the OCD from the femur and Rongeurs were used to pull it out. I was surprised by how little trauma was made to the joint during the procedure, and that the colt was able to go home two days later.

Another procedure that I was able to scrub in on was a distal check ligament desmodomy. The procedure was performed bilaterally and was intended to help the horse create a better angle at the fetlock. A proximal check ligament desmodomy had already been performed previously, and did not create enough angle, so the second procedure was performed. During this procedure I was able to help guide the suture, hand instruments and keep the area well blotted for Dr. Williams to be able to see. 

I can't wait to see what this next week holds in store for me! Until next time...

Kaitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment