Saturday, June 20, 2015

Week 6 at Rood and Riddle

I can not believe I am already halfway done with my time here at Rood and Riddle! I can not even keep track of all the amazing things I have learned and done since I got here. But I have been trying to get as many pictures as possible to show you all the things I have been able to see and do.

 These first two pictures are from a Saddlebred colt who ripped his shoe off and took a large portion of hoof with it. I thought this was really cool because on the inside of the shoe, the hoof wall was still attached and you could see the lamellae still attached.


This is from a young foal that ran a fence board and had about a 4 inch wide gash in his neck. Dr. Friend did an awesome job sewing it back together.



In these pictures I am sewing a caslyx on a Thoroughbred mare who has just been bred. These are not as common as they used to be, but some farms still caslyx every mare after they have been to the shed. So far I have done about 5. I also found my first pregnancy in a mare who was 14 days from ovulation! It is amazing how exciting it is to see the little black circle on the screen. My ultrasound skills are still a little rough but I am getting better everyday.



This big guy is from a pre-purchase we were doing where Dr. Friend needed to make a phone call so the owner graciously let Kelsey and I have some fun with their horse! Everyone needs to have some fun every once in awhile!

                                               

 This picture is from a barn that got rotovirus where we had to quarantine the whole barn to make sure the new foals would not get infected. The plastic coveralls are unbelievably hot in this Kentucky heat and humidity. 













Castration day! One of our regular farms decided to castrate 40 of their stallions and we have been doing them in sets of 10. This day was the first set and I was able to help with one and then do the last 3. 
Last week I went to visit Jackie in surgery for a day and got to hangout and see a few arthroscopies and fracture repairs. It is always fun to go back to the hospital and see how much of a difference there is between field and hospital medicine.
                              

The last of my adventures end with a party at Churchill Downs that Nicole and I were able to attend. It was a meet and greet with American Pharoah and Victor Espinoza and their trophies. It was wonderful to get to hangout with such an amazing athlete!!!

That is all for now! Happy Father's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment