Monday, June 8, 2015

Week 4 at RREH!

Hello!

I can not believe I have just finished my 4th week at RREH, the time is flying by. I am having such a great experience and learning so much. The past two weeks we have continued with our normal routine of doing mostly broodmare stuff in the mornings and doing regular ambulatory work in the afternoons. Working consistently at the broodmare barns has been really nice for me because I can really see how much I am learning as I get faster and more efficient at treating the mares. Almost all of the foals have been born too, but we did help deliver a red bag foal last week.

The other things we have done are castrations, neurectomys, joint injections, chiropractic visits, x-rays, ultrasounds, lameness evaluations. dentistry, and lacerations. The laceration to the eye we saw two weeks ago healed beautifully and it was hard to tell he had ever ripped it open. We have also seen several babies born with low IgG so we run them a liter of plasma from plasma donors. Another interesting case we saw was a horse who had trouble urinating and found out that he had cancerous tissue lining his urethra so we amputated part of his penis off. This being my fourth week, I have really enjoyed going on calls to do rechecks so see how well the horses we treated were recovering. The foal that we casted awhile back straightened its fetlock out so well you can't even tell it was contracted at birth. We have also looked at several colics and removed a screw and wire from a foal who had surgery to put them in. That case was cool because Jackie had been in surgery to put the screw in and told me all about it and then I was able to see it post surgery and then how they take the screw out.

Outside of clinic hours, I have been able to watch American Pharoah do his morning workouts at Churchill Downs and then this past weekend I traveled to New York to watch him win the Triple Crown. It was an amazing experience.



That is all I have for now! I look forward to sharing more with you in the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment